A former member of the band Cian, Padraig Rynne is a high-power concertina player whose choice of material and arrangements set him firmly among the modernists. So one shouldn't be surprised to find quite a few new compositions as well as a smattering of Breton and Galician tunes on the album. Nor will the list of guest musicians, a who's who of the "fast and the furious" of today, leave any doubt about the approach to music, generally full steam ahead with high-wire virtuosic detours. Rynne is capable of a mellower groove, as on the "Old Bush" track of slow reels--but one whishes the accompanist would have followed suit with less adventurous harmonies. But it's all so well played that it's hard to resist. A guilty pleasure to be sure.
1. Jigs: Barbara Needham's / Christy Barry's / Bye a While (Rynne)
2. Reels: Mulhere's / Pinch of Snuff / Molloy's
3. Galician & Breton: Fusco / Plevin
4. Reels: The Old Bush / The Swallow's Tail
5. Hornpipe & Reel: The New Century / Phillis' Birthday
6. Jig, Slip Jig & Reel: Fisherstreet / The Wingflapper / The Ceilier
7. Reels: Not Safe with a Razor / The Palm Tree / Jimmy's Return