BRENDAN BEGLEY: OICHE GO MAIDEAN - IT COULD BE A GOOD NIGHT YET!
Brendan Begley: accordion, melodeon, vocals
Noel O'Grady: bouzouki
Neil Martin: cello
Beginish and Boys of the Lough member Brendan Begley's newest solo CD is a delightful collection of tunes and songs from his native Kerry. Accompanied on some tracks by Beginish bouzouki player Noel O'Grady, Begley plays accordion and melodeon on the tunes, which include slides and polkas from Kerry, as well as reels, jigs, and hornpipes, all performed with Begley's unmistakable exuberance. Begley has a deep, rich singing voice, and his singing, whether in Irish or in English, is always lyrical and stirring. Neil Martin also contributes on piano, and whistle, as well as a gorgeous cello counterpoint to Begley's singing of "Sliabh na mBan." This is traditional music of the highest order.
Price: $18.99 Recommended
1. Jigs: The Lonesome Jig / The Orphan / Muiris O'Dalaigh
2. Air & Hornpipe: An Charraig Aonair / Her Lovely Hair was Flowing down her Back
3. Song: An Buachaillin Ban
4. Jigs: The Full Rigged Ship / Tom Billy's / Ellen Leary's
5. Slides: John Murphy / Maurice Manley's / John Kelly's
6. Song: There's the Day
7. Jigs: Port an Bhand / Sean Coughlin's
8. Song: Sliabh na mBan
9. Hornpipes: Mary Mac's / The Sands / Crney Drew's
10. Song: The Tinkerman's Daughter
11. Reels: Hunter's Purse / Green Mountain / Man of the House / Matt Peoples'
12. Song: Three Miles from Abha na Scail
13. Polkas: Jack Sweeney's / Jack Connell's / John Clifford's